Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Funky Food in Iguazu



This past weekend I got to see the most water I have ever seen in my life. Iguazu Falls in Missiones, Argentina. I say the most water I have ever seen,because it was literally everywhere; the sky, the trees, my shoes, and the river. It down poured while we were there, which just added to volume of water being thrown off the edges of the earth. Mind boggling experience. What was also out of the ordinary was what I ingested one night at our hotel. Cow tongue. I ate cow tongue! The only reason it was gross was because, well, it was cow tongue. Other than that it really didnt taste that bad! A bit odd, but mostly just like pork. Another item I ate at the hotel was eggs, scrambled eggs, NOT hard boiled eggs. This is the first time since arriving here that I ate scrambled eggs! I was quite happy. I also had one of each of their deserts there, including flan, a cake that looked like flan but was more marshmallowy, and an assortment of other cakes and unlimited fruit salads! I loved it all.
When our group arrived at the estancia the first day, we ate this item that resembled fried dough, but was much much lighter (only a thin crust of bread, puffed up with air in the middle and doused in sugar), and it was delicious. The meat we are there was good as well and was actually cooked slightly redder than i am accustomed to seeing here in Argentina and was a nice change of pace. I was also able to try terere, which is yerba mate, but cold and uses yellow or orange juice instead of water. I enjoyed it and prefer it over hot yerba mate.
Over all it was a very enlightening trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment